Thursday, January 20, 2011

Write a letter to your parents

I was listening to a audio program that said that each of us should write a letter to the people that have hurt us the most.  Here is my letter.

Dear Mom and Dad,

I just wanted to say that I forgive you for not giving me everything that I need when I was growing up.   For the times that I pushed you away and I said for you to leave me alone and you did just that.  For the times that you unintentionally allowed my brother to pick on me.  I forgive you for not really looking hard at the warning signs that I was having trouble.  I forgive you for not taking care of me in the best possible way.  I forgive you for teaching me to keep secrets.  For asking me to keep the truth.

I want to thank you for doing the best you could.  I work with a lot of children.  I realize just how frustrating, exhausting and tiresome it is to interact with them.  I find myslef not knowing what to say or what to do.  Or if I am doing everything right.  I find that I am a lot like my parents in both their strengths and weaknesses.  I don't know when I should hold or scold.  Is it dramatic or serious behavior.  As I look back over the time I have spent I see all of the beautiful times I spent together and the times I could have gone further.   I just wanted to forgive you with no animosity or hurt.

I've taken responsibility for my whole life.  All of those desicions were just feedback into how I want to live my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment