Saturday, December 25, 2010

Storytelling

Here is a good article about storytelling.  In general, I think that the stories that you tell should convey your personality and have positive aspects. The simpler the story the better.  For example, a story about bungee jumping usually only conveys one aspect of your personality and people usually can figure out the ending before the story is over.  A interesting story about a trip to the grocery store is relatable, conveys personality, and the listener has no idea where the story is going to end.  Positive aspects mean that overall people get a positive impression of you even if there are negative elements.  Getting robbed is a negative element but as long as a person handles the problem in a proactive and positive manner, the story leaves an overall positive impression.

Some Bad Stories From Some Horrible First and Last Dates:

I was talking with a guy about how cheap it is to live in a foreign country.  His response:  My rent was only $30 but I was always going to the capitol.  I would meet a guy and then I would have to pay for a hotel room so I could bang him.

This guy was really thin but he used to be fat.  I used to weigh 300 pounds.  I was living with my boyfriend at the time and he was afraid that I would go out and find someone else.  So he would constantly feed me.  One day I decided to leave him so I took all of his things (TV, DVD player, clothes) and I threw them in the Jacuzzi.  I left and never looked back. 

I got a weird feeling:
Me: When was the last time you dated a woman?
Him: Last week.
Me: Are you gay or bi?
Him: I don't know but with your help, I'll be able to tell my parents.

My Former Stories:

I would tell my dates that when I came out, I had went through a period where I had been very promiscuous.  I think I unconsciously wanted them to know that I was damaged goods.  Better to find out now then later down the road. 

I would tell my date that I dated girls in college.  I would make a joke about how I did not know why we broke up in the first place.  That story always brings up extra questions such as my what is my sexual orientation and when was the last time I dated a girl.  Plus, I come off as a jerk because she loved to make out and I would look at my watch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment