Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Goal Setting

J.C. Penny once said, "Give me a stock clerk with a goal, and I'll give you a man who will make history.  Give me a man with no goals, and I'll give you a stock clerk."  I heard a statistic once that said that 90% of people do not set goals.  About a year ago, I was one of those people who did not set goals.  My life reflected that anxiety of not knowing where I was going nor what I would be doing for that month, year, or five years down the line.  

I remember people telling me that rigidly planning your life locked you into a certain future.  That a person doesn't have the freedom to do whatever they wanted. I used to do the shotgun method of life.  I would take all of the possible outcomes and whatever I would metaphorically hit, I would do.  I am here to tell you that goal setting is so much better.  Goals give you the power to focus all of your energy on a specific task at hand.  
Whenever I want to change course, I take five minutes to write up a new set of goals.  

Below are my written goals for the next nine months unless otherwise noted.  I like to practice a hybrid method.  I want them SMART (specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and timely) and I also put part of my mission statement next to a few of them.


Coming Out: I will live my life with integrity and express my sexuality if asked and appropriate except in situations that will cause physical or emotional harm.
-I will come out to my extended family when I return to my hometown September 2011

Career: Be gainfully employed. Be a leader in my field.
-Obtain an entry level library job.
-With two years of experience, I can go do anything I want.
-networking
-join 2 professional organization (Local / national)
-join a professional sub-group
-job interviewing. Review and practice 100 most common interview questions. June 2011

Family: I will be frequently "there" for support and love.
-Be a parent by age 40

Love Relationships:
- I will be faithful, find a guy to love and care for, and be committed for the long haul.
-To be married by 35

Learning: To be mentally and morally awake.
-Learn Spanish.
  • Test February 2011.
  • Study five hours daily (fill out chart)
  • Final exit Spanish interview August 2011
Attitude/ Balance: to free myself from destructive and addictive behaviors.
-gossip: I will keep what others tell me in confidence regardless of the content.
-Excitement about coming home
-Positive attitude about my future and getting a job.

Physical:
-Diet
  • Cut out soda from diet
  • Eat a local diet
  • Weigh 180 and maintain April 2011
  • Find ten easy to cook recipes
-yoga
  • 3hours a week
-pushups
  • 200 daily (fill out chart)
-body weight exercises
  • 2 hours a week

Pickup
-Touching
-Blog
  • One entry daily. Focus on Storytelling, relationship questions, openers)
-Fashion, clothes shopping
  • Buy one nice piece of fashionable clothing a month
- Developing / Conveying Confidence
- Initiating Conversations
- Approaching
-grooming
  • Find and buy a cologne
  • change hairstyle
  • manscape, eyebrows, shave
  • whiten teeth
  • Brush twice a day and floss
-Buy these Magazines
  • Vanity Fair, Esquire, Men's Health, Out, Advocate, Instinct, , GQ
-cocky funny/banter
  • copy sayings on note cards and practice
-voice
  • Work out with the video
-walk
  • practice walk
-Networking
-Talking my head off
-personality development
-touching
-playful
-eye contact
-body language
  • practice reading body language

spirituality
  • Read the bible in a year (daily email readings with commentary)

travel
  • Save a $150 a month ($150 x 12 months = $1,800)
  • Research these 3 trips: 1 Camino de Santiago, Spain 2 France 3 Machu Picchu
Financial:
-Debt Free by age 35


No comments:

Post a Comment